May 15, 2021

Bliss Naija

The best plug for getting well informed about happenings around the world!

How troops moved to toll gate – Amnesty Int’l

How troops moved to toll gate - Amnesty Int’l

How troops moved to toll gate – Amnesty Int’l. Amnesty International have asked the Federal Government of Nigeria to bring to justice those involved.

Amnesty International, the global rights watchdog yesterday asked the FG of Nigeria not to cover up the shooting at the Lekki Toll Gate which took place during the #ENDSARS protest.

The watchdog said its call became necessary because government had a knack for sweeping under the carpet incidents of such magnitude, citing the killings of hundreds of Shi’ites who were killed in Zaria, Kaduna State, in 2016, insisting that soldiers shot at the protesters.

Amnesty International alleged yesterday that the Federal Government was doing everything possible to cover up on the shooting of the #EndSARS protesters at Lekki.

Report has it that, both the Nigerian Army and Defence Headquarters refused to react yesterday, as several calls made to the mobile phones of their spokesmen received no reply.

Text messages also sent to their phones were not replied. At best, Army Headquarters in Abuja, told Vanguard later that 81 Div of the Army had already reacted on its behalf.

The Division had said in a statement on Tuesday night that though they were invited by Lagos State government in the aftermath of the shooting at Lekki, its men were not involved in the shooting.

In the same vein, Mallam Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, kept mum when contacted. Officials of Lagos State government also kept mum, as efforts to get them to react at press time proved abortive.

Read Also  I’m not desperate for CAF presidency - Amaju Pinnick

READ ALSO: Sanwo-Olu reacts to Lekki Toll Gate Massacre

Several phone calls and SMS sent to Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, were not responded to as his line was busy.

However, in its latest report published yesterday, the rights group released details of the timeline of events from when the protests started on October 20, 2020.

Denials, cover-ups

Amnesty International in a statement signed by Country Director, Osai Ojigho, said:

“What happened at Lekki Toll Gate has all the traits of the Nigerian authorities’ pattern of a cover-up whenever their defence and security forces commit unlawful killings.

“The initial denials of the involvement of soldiers in the shooting was followed by the shameful denial of the loss of lives as a result of the military’s attack against the protests,” she said.

“Many people are still missing since the day of the incident, and credible evidence shows that the military prevented ambulances from reaching the severely injured in the aftermath.”

“One week on, the Nigerian authorities still have many questions to answer: who ordered the use of lethal force on peaceful protesters? Why were CCTV cameras on the scene dismantled in advance? And who ordered electricity being turned off minutes before the military opened fire on protesters?

“The initial denials of the involvement of soldiers in the shooting was followed by the shameful denial of the loss of lives as a result of the military’s attack against the protests.

“Many people are still missing since the day of the incident, and credible evidence shows that the military prevented ambulances from reaching the severely injured in the aftermath.”

Read Also  UN speaks on alleged Lekki killings

Tracking the military’s movements

Amnesty International also said it tracked the military’s movements before the incident, saying, “Amnesty International’s Crisis Response experts investigated and verified social media videos and photographs that confirm the Nigerian security forces were present at the Lekki Toll Gate when the shootings occurred.

“At 6:29pm local time in Lagos, two military vehicles were filmed leaving Bonny Camp on videos shared on social media.

“Later footage showed four vehicles with flashing lights in a convoy, and they appeared to be vehicles used by the Nigerian military and police.

“The same vehicles headed east along Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue – which changed its name to Lekki-Epe Expressway – in the direction of the Lekki Toll Gate.

“On this route, the vehicles passed several international embassies and consulates, including the Japanese Embassy and the Australian High Commission.

“Further photographs and footage captured the vehicles arriving at the toll gate, before the peaceful protest was disrupted by men in military uniform and gunfire was heard.

“At night time, the soldiers descended on protesters, as protesters continued to film and share videos of the shootings. Later in the evening, videos of the victims were also shared on social media.”

Protests against police brutality

Nigerians had taken to the streets, peacefully demanding an end to police brutality, extrajudicial executions and extortion by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, a unit of the Nigeria Police Force tasked with fighting violent crimes.

According to Amnesty International, at least 56 people have died in the nation since the protests began.

Read Also  "SARS Tortured, Starved My Brother To Death" —Doris Ididia

The group added that security forces used excessive force in an attempt to control or stop the protests, noting that based on its investigations, the protests had been peaceful until force was used.

Source: Vanguard News

Do you have a story, article and wished for it to be published on our website & media platforms? Send you story Now

Don’t forget to drop your comment in the comment section below and also subscribe to Loyanet-TV for your giveaways, affiliates links, ads free betting tip and business promotion.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here below is in no way a reflection of Bliss Naija’s Blog opinion or any of our employees thereof.