It feels like a broken record to reiterate the interest in Sancho this summer, but United do retain a belief they can find a way to secure his signature with less than a month of the window remaining. United are running out of time to sign Jadon Sancho
At the time of writing negotiations are still ongoing over what would be a club-record move for Sancho, but United are understandably considering alternatives in case they cannot sign the England international.
United also deserve credit for refusing to entertain Borussia Dortmund’s self-imposed deadline to sign Sancho by 10 August, but over four weeks since it passed there has been little else to report in the saga.
It means United are close to the point of compromise and soon they must decide whether to break the bank and give Dortmund what they want for the £108million-rated winger, or walkaway and pursue other targets.
“Just say to Dortmund ‘leave him there’ and go get another player,” Gary Neville advised United earlier this week.
“There are plenty of players around, there can’t be just one player you’re chasing.
“If you can’t get a deal done (for Sancho) you have to move on. You certainly have to give hard deadlines on players.”
David Brooks has been under consideration by United for upwards of a year but was deemed too expensive last summer, while Rabbi Matondo and Thiago Almada also represent potential bargain buys on the right wing.
There is also the consideration of a short-term solution with United open to sighing a player on loan before potentially pursuing Sancho at a later date.
Juventus winger Douglas Costa has been mentioned and Ivan Perisic was floated as an option but the 31-year-old is expected to permanently join Bayern. Real Madrid winger Gareth Bale is not currently of interest, but is another example of a possible temporary fix this summer.
Whatever happens United must heed the warning from club great Neville and set their own transfer deadline in regards to their pursuit of Sancho, with signing a new right winger essential rather than optional this summer.
They have spent enough time entertaining the Dortmund transfer saga, and with the first match of the new season now only a week away Woodward and Solskjaer face the ultimate game of stick or twist.
Follow throughout the day for the latest United news.
France captain Hugo Lloris says there has been a noticeable change in Anthony Martial’s confidence over the past year.
“I don’t know if it has to do with his relationship with Solskjaer, but we have found him more confident,” Lloris told reporters on Monday.
“He has a great connection with his teammates at Manchester United, and that allowed him to score goals and have great numbers in his past season.
“We are expecting him to deliver, and he will have to confirm what he can do. He is here to play with this team, he wants to do well, whether it will be five or ten minutes, one half or a whole match. He is ready to meet the expectations.”Hugo Lloris
United have shown an interest in signing N’Golo Kante this summer, according to reports.
Tuttosport suggest United are weighing up an audacious raid on Chelsea as they consider reinforcing their defensive midfield options.
RB Leipzig manager Julian Nagelsmann has stated that highly-rated defender Dayot Upamecano will not be leaving the club in the current transfer window.
“He will be here for the season. I’m sure about that. As for the future, I’m not sure as he is very talented. Lots of club will want to buy — next season it could be real that he leaves the club. But this season he will stay,” he told ESPN.
Unless another Haaland emerges, United now plan to support Anthony Martial rather than replace him. Martial top-scored for the second time in his United career with 23 goals – six more than his 2015-16 best – and has made good on his request to reclaim the number nine, claiming the first United Premier League hat-trick since Robin van Persie in April 2013 against Sheffield United.
With results due in on the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award soon Martial is a leading contender: 17 league goals in 31 starts, 23 from 41 overall, two derby winners, goal of the season contenders against Norwich and Watford and an improved work ethic.Read the full piece here.
United are due to play Aston Villa in a pre-season friendly that is set to be their only game before the Premier League season starts. The MEN understands United are scheduled to travel to Villa this weekend but have no plans to play any more matches ahead of their season opener against Crystal Palace on September 19. United, Wolves and Manchester City were allowed to start the domestic campaign a week later than the other 17 Premier League clubs as they had competed in the latter stages of the Europa League and Champions League in August.
United are prioritising the signing of a forward over a left-back such as Sergio Reguilon.
Thar’s according to ESPN who report that United have been made aware, through agents, that Reguilon is available for a transfer from Real Madrid.
However, they claim that Jadon Sancho and more attacking arrivals are the priority for United in the summer window.
MEN Sport reported last week United are monitoring Reguilon amid ongoing uncertainty regarding their own full-back options but had also reported months ago United were prioritising their attack after investing £130m in defenders last summer.
Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez has spoken about the links to United and praise from Rio Ferdinand.
“Well honestly very well,” he told Marca.
“I am very flattered that a club like Manchester United or other teams that ask about me take me into consideration, for me it is very positive. And that strong people in those clubs speak well of you means that I am doing things well at Atlético de Madrid.”
Stayed glued to Bliss Naija’s Blog all days for latest sport news, Sergio Reguilon and Alex Telles latest plus Jadon Sancho hint